Exercise is Component Five of the Fabufit System
Exercise brings beautiful benefits if done correctly. This weekend I talked with one of the members of our CrossFit Ammo Gym. She was telling me about her years of training and running in many marathons. She said she began to realize that although she was running miles and miles, her body was getting in worse instead of better shape. She weighed the same as in years past, but shape had changed. She explained that what was happening was that her intense focus on cardio without any strength training was depleting her muscle mass.
This conversation reminded me of a number of principles so important to remember concerning getting the most from exercise.
Muscle –> Metabolism
1. Because Strength Training builds muscle, it is critical to incorporate this into your exercise program. As you build more muscle mass, you increase your metabolism. Likewise, as you lose muscle mass, you decrease your metabolism. Your metabolism determines your body’s ability to burn calories and fat. When it slows down, you will find it very difficult to not gain weight.
The Scales Lie
2. Put the scales away and trust the tape measure. Muscle weighs more than fat, but takes up less space. Would you rather look like a lean brick or a fluffy pillow?
3. Stretch before your work out. Begin upper exercises by rolling your shoulders back to be sure you are not creating a slump.
Smile to Prevent Wrinkles
4. Smile faintly like a calico cat as you lift weights. Smiling boasts the spirit, lifts the attitude and energizes the body. Frowning creates wrinkles.
Beware of Overdoing
5. Beware of overdoing any exercise. We all need a day of rest for muscles to recover. A consistent system of 4 to 5 days a week of cardio and strength training will bring great results. Consistency is the key.
Use Your Own Body Weight for Strength Training
6. Current research shows that using your own body weight for strength training is excellent: pushups, situps, squats. This makes it easy to do your workouts at home if you wish.
7. Vary your exercise. Our body’s need a jolt from doing the very same things every day. I love this about CrossFit. Our exercise for the day is never the same. (John and I go to the gym two days a week and exercise with CrossFit principles combining Strength Training and Cardio on two other days of the week.
Fabufit 201 is the foundational Fabufit System. This four class teaching on DVD will walk you through the little things that make the big difference in inch loss. This course addresses Fitness: Spirit, Soul and Body in a baby step, simple to learn and implement, manner. I am offering this $35 Course for $15 for a limited time. Offer is limited to 2 per customer.