To achieve long-term results, we all have to start somewhere. Deciding to do a hard workout each day or going on a fad diet to lose 50 pounds, is not the answer – it’s like going from zero to sixty in a few seconds – maybe good for race cars but not for humans. And definitely not an effective long-range plan. To change your habits in 2014 so that you can be fabulously fit for life, you need to start with baby steps.
I have some favorite baby steps that have worked for me and my clients over the years. Here are the top twelve that will help you throughout the year:
- Make pure water your beverage of choice. It cleans and erases.
- Eat breakfast as this will break your metabolism out of slow gear and start it working for you
- Do a little more chewing. No beverage with meals as it dilutes the digestive juices.
- Know the Hunger/Full Index and eat before you are too hungry and stop before you are too full.
- Tune in and listen to your body. Eat with intention and not unthinkingly and carelessly.
- Know your enemy: sugar, junk food
- Limit the debits by eating only those debit foods you love. Debit foods steal nutrients and health.
- Even a little exercise will wake up those wonderful “feeling good” neurotransmitters that take the message to the brain and increase your metabolism.
- Add some happy nutrients: B complex, the happy vitamin
- Decide on an eating cutoff time.
- A little more sleep – the body repairs and recovers as we sleep. Some say it is the most important non-nutrient.
- Simply erase – set a boundary of not allowing yourself a debit food unless you are willing to erase. (Erase by drinking more water or doing the hoe down – link)
I have a lifetime of healthy living wisdom I would love to share with you. It’s proven, effective and powerful. If you would like to learn more, please join Fabulously Fit Over 50. Make 2014 the year of change!