Are there really 5 habits that are the most important habits for 2021?” Yes, I believe there are. I’ve walked in some of these on a consistent basis, but only some. There are two keys here that to me were worth noting: 1. These five habits only create success if done consistently every day. 2. Up until now I’ve not been consistent in all. I’ve been pretty consistent in two. It is time for a change for me. Maybe you will join in my endeavor and consider 2021 a time for some changes for yourself as well.
A New Year and a New Vision
On January 2nd, John and I listened to a church service where the guest speaker was Terri Savelle Foy. Neither of us had ever heard her speak before. I didn’t think I would be too interested, but I was. I absolutely love learning new things that are practical enough to put into practice. What I heard just fit that perimeter. First, my ears couldn’t help but perk up as I listened to her background story and then heard the change that had occurred in her life by doing these simple five things. Second, I could see this was surely doable. God is no respecter of persons. If He honored these habits for her and others, why not for the rest of us?
The Slight Edge
As Terri began to unfold the five things, I realized they looked somewhat simple. Then I remembered a book I read years ago by Jeff Olson called The Slight Edge. In this book, he explained something I have never forgotten called “The Success Curve”. There are a few simple things, simple choices, simple habits successful people do that put them on the Success Curve for life. They aren’t hard to do; in fact, they are easy to do. However, they are also very easy not to do, and most don’t.
I Listened and Took Notes
I have heard before and I heard again: ” Your life will be determined over the next 5 years by the people you are around and the books you read.” Some books and some people can inspire you with words that seem to go with you. At least that has been the case with me. On Sunday, January 2nd, I heard words that I have put into practice. This is so important in my thinking that I have decided to teach our next Fabufit Course on the topic of implementing these five things. It’s really nothing new. In fact, if I search my past posts over the years I would find all of these five things. However, the words used, the tips and strategies given are new and inspiring. I sense they will make a tremendous difference.
Without a Vision, My People Perish
This is what God tells us in His word. Our vision needs to be clear and specific for 2021. Terri asked the question: “What are you going to do with the life you have left?” Isn’t that a thought-provoking question? How would you answer it? I’ve been thinking about this question every day and formulating my answer.
The story was given by the guest speaker about a man leaving the church service:
What if, as he left the service everything was perfect. He was healthy, his needs were met, and he was happy. However, when he got into the car, the windshield wipers wouldn’t work and it was pouring down rain. As long as his vision was impaired, he was going nowhere. If you and I have no vision, we will be exactly at the same place next year as we are now. Those are strong words, but I submit they are true.
New Year’s Resolutions are not the key. 80% of these are gone by the end of February. 30% are gone the first week after they are made. Changing your habits is the key to living your dreams. John Maxwell says: “You can’t have a million dollar dream with minimum wage habits.” He goes on to say, “If I could come to your house and watch you for 24 hours, I could tell if you’re going to be a success or a failure.” The secret of your future is hidden in your daily routine. Are you curious to learn what these five habits are?
- Pray and Meditate. Take a journal and pen as you read and pray. Practice hearing the voice of God. “A life worth living is a life worth recording.” ~ Terri
- Start Reading. Set an alarm on your phone for a 20 minute block of time to read. the KEY to success = Keep Educating Yourself
- Listen to Faith Building Messages. Use times while you are getting ready for the day, cooking, walking, driving to listen to motivational or faith-building messages. (My first two consistent days included The Authority of the Name of Jesus by Kenneth E. Hagin and The Power of Your Words by Don Gossett.) I’ve heard both of these before, but hearing them again brought new convictions, deepened faith, and encouragement. Faith comes by hearing and hearing. You can never have faith in or for something you do not know.
- Write and Review Your Dreams and Goals. Habbakuk says to write the vision and make it plain upon tablets. There power in the pen. “Don’t just think it, ink it.” 80% of all people have no goals for life. 16% have goals but have them not written. 1% have goals, have written them, and review them often.
- Exercise. Make it a way of life. Your body is worth at least 20 minutes a day.
Begin by going to Terri’s website and download the amazing free offers. You may even wish to go to YouTube and find her free videos.
You will know from there if you want to learn more.
Join our Team Fabulous in later January as we begin a 4-week course on The Five Most Important Habits for 2021. All team members come free.