Navigating Special Days
Life is filled with wonderful special days. They come about often. We will have choices to make. Without decisions in place and choices made: special days can barge in and become “EVERYDAYS.”
- Sometimes we will just choose to indulge in favorites. And we won’t lose too much ground, if we decide ahead to eat slowly, moderately, and nothing we don’t really love. Remember that overeating at one setting can fluff up the fat cells or …yikes… add additional fat cells.
- Once your have trained your taste buds and you realize how delicious Paleo is, you will choose instead (most of the time) to prepare a Paleo dessert or dish to use in your special day.
- As time goes on, and your desire to live long and healthy, and look Fabulously Fit becomes stronger; the second choice will become more and more your automatic choice. Yes, it really can happen.
This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live.
The very best source is Trader Joe’s. The entire can is Coconut Cream, not just the top part.
PALEO WHIPPED TOPPING for Anytime at all!
One of the very first Paleo tricks I learned in my first Paleo summer was that of making whipped topping out of a can of full fat coconut milk. It is so good on sweet potatoes with a little cinnamon and is very delicious on fresh fruit, or pumpkin pie, as well. Here are a couple of tricks to remember:
- Wash the top of the can first. Who knows where it has been.
- If you first get the can of coconut milk cold in refrigerator, all the cream rises right to the top and can easily be scooped out.
- Be sure to use full fat canned coconut milk
- I don’t even have to use a hand blender when the milk is cold. It just easily whips up with a fork or whisk.
NOTE: Many times I just whip this up and add some Stevia.
Recently, upon finding the wonderful website called 360yourlife.com, I discovered more versatility for this whipped topping. You will find the link for this particular frosting and icing at the bottom of this page. This is a wonderful website filled with treasures.
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Scoop out the thickened coconut cream and leave the water in the bottom of the can.
In a mixing bowl, whip all ingredients together using a hand mixer. This will form whipped cream.
Let the mixture sit in the fridge overnight and this will form a frosting like consistency.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, softened at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
Cream together the coconut oil, honey, extract, and sea salt. If the mixture seems runny, place it in the fridge for a few minutes to help it set.
To naturally color any of the frosting/icing:
For Red Icing: Place the frosting/icing in a mini food processor with fresh strawberries. Mix well.
For Green Icing: Place the frosting/icing in a mini food processor with fresh baby spinach. Mix well. (Don’t be scared, the spinach will not add any flavor to the icing . . . just don’t let the kids see you do it!:-)
Download this recipe: Paleo Whipped Topping & Icing Substitutes for the Holidays