Simple Tomato Soup
I slightly altered this WELLNESS MAMA recipe using Ghee or Coconut Oil versus Butter. 30 mins SERVES 4
Wellnessmama.com is a terrific website for Paleo ideas. Katie is a mother of several young children. She must be amazing.
- ¼ cup of coconut oil (or Ghee)
- 1 medium yellow onion (or 2 TBLS Dry Onion Flakes
- 3 cloves of garlic or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 28 ounces of diced, canned tomatoes or 6 fresh tomatoes
- 2 cups bone broth (Chicken Broth for me until I learn how to do the bone broth.)
- 1 cup coconut milk or additional broth
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup fresh basil or 3 tablespoons dried (Fresh Basil makes it so Good)
- Optional green onions for garnish
- Dice the onion and place in a pan with the ghee or coconut oil over medium heat.
- Mince garlic and add (or add garlic powder)
- Sauté until onions are softened and translucent.
- Add tomatoes and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Mince the basil (if using fresh) and add to pan.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer for at least five minutes (for richer flavors, you can simmer for up to 30 minutes)
Optional but Recommended: Using a metal immersion blender, carefully blend in the pot until smooth. I use a Blendtech Blender to blend all but the chicken stock. It wouldn’t fit.
Garnish with chopped basil or green onions (optional) and serve.
[…] favorites continue to be the Paleo Tomato Basil Soup and Chicken Pot […]