Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
Looks like we don’t have to give up Homemade Ice Cream either. Praise the Lord for discovering how to make this the Fabufit Paleo Way. I must admit that I tried several others that didn’t work. But this was worth the search. I used a 2 quart Electric Ice Cream Freezer and adapted a recipe found in the little booklet that came with the freezer. Next I will work with the Dark Chocolate Ice Cream one!
BTW – This was my first experience with the real Vanilla Bean Pod. What fun discovering this.~ Dani
2 1/2 cups of Coconut Milk or Almond Milk (I used this portion from a carton of Coconut Milk.)
2 1/2 cups of Coconut Cream (I used one 14 ounce can of Coconut Cream and enough of a second to make the 2 1/2 cups. I was able to find the Coconut Cream at a store in our area called Trader Joe’s. If I had not found that, I would have chilled a couple cans of full fat Coconut Milk.)
1 whole Vanilla Bean (about 6 inches long)
5 large Eggs
2/3 cup of pure Maple Syrup
2 Tsp. pure Vanilla Extract
1. Combine the Milk and Cream in a medium saucepan.
2. Using a sharp knife, split the Vanilla Bean lengthwise and scrape out the little tiny seeds. Place them in with the milk/cream mixture.
3. Bring to a slow boil over medium heat. Simmer 30 minutes (stirring) on low.
4. Discard the Vanilla Bean Pod
1. Combine Eggs and Maple Syrup in medium bowl.
2. Mix on medium speed with hand mixer about 2 minutes
It Gets a Bit Tricky Here
1. Measure out 1 cup of the hot milk/cream and slowly add to egg mixture while mixing on low speed.
2. Pour back into the medium saucepan and combine, stirring constantly.
3. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the vanilla extract. Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator or freezer until thoroughly chilled. I will place this bowl in my freezer next time to speed up this process. I didn’t let it chill long enough and it took much longer for the Electric Ice Cream Freezer to do it’s work.
4. Pour mixture into the chilled base of the Electric Ice Cream Freezer and turn it on to spin until the mixture is nice and frozen.
This is totally delicious! We placed what was left over in a tupperware and froze it. It was even better the next day. ~ Dani
I made the ice cream this evening. It is delicious!
I am so happy you liked it too. We tried a chocolate one tonight that was just about as good:)